Your Choice, Your Vision, Your Show
What is Student Picks?
Student Picks is SCMA’s student exhibition program. Each month a selected student has the opportunity to organize a one-day exhibition using the Cunningham Center’s collection of prints, drawings and photographs. Run by lottery, Student Picks is open to ALL Smith students, regardless of major, class year or experience. The exhibitions are held in the Cunningham Center on the first Friday of each month during the academic year, from 12–4 PM.
Student Picks is a twofold invitation. The Museum extends an invitation to students: into the collection, into the behind-the-scenes of the museum, to engage with visual art in a unique and personal way. But students also extend an invitation: they share their vision, their show, with the wider community.
How Do You Enter the Student Picks Lottery?
Ballot boxes will be available in the Museum lobby, Campus Center, Neilson Library, Hillyer Art Library, and Young Science Library from August 27 until September 20, 2013. You can enter the lottery as many times as you like!
We will pick six winners and two alternates by lottery soon after the September 20th deadline.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Is Student Picks a big time commitment?
- Your time commitment is up to you. Generally, you meet with Cunningham Center staff between 1 and 3 times the month before your show to explore the collection, choose a topic, and make your selections.
- I’ve never studied art before! Do I need prior experience with museums or art history?
- Prior experience is absolutely not required. Most students who do Student Picks have little or no prior experience with museums or art history.
- How much help will I receive preparing my show?
- Cunningham Center staff will guide you every step of the way. We’ll also ask you for a guest list for your show and send out invitations to everyone you know: friends, family, faculty.
- Which works of art can I pick from?
- You can pick anything from SCMA’s collection of prints, drawings and photographs. In the past, students have selected works by artists as diverse as Albrecht Dürer, Rembrandt, Cindy Sherman, Claes Oldenburg, Ansel Adams, Pablo Picasso and Käthe Kollwitz.
For more information, please contact Maggie Kurkoski, Post-Baccalaureate Curatorial Fellow, at 413-585-2764, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student Picks is supported by the Estelle Glatt Sosland ’46 and Morton Sosland Museum Director’s Fund.
Photo: Kyle Boyd '15 (left) with her parents at her Student Picks exhibition BREAKING WAVES: Exploring Water in Black-and-White Photographs. Image: Marilyn Bridges, American (born 1948). Point Reyes, CA, 1981. Gelatin silver print. Gift of Nicole Moretti Ungar, class of 1982, and Jon Ungar. Photography by Petegorsky/Gipe.