Free Fun Friday July 12
- Friday, July 12, 2019
- Museum of Art, 10 AM–8 PM
Admission is free for all!
SCMA is one of over 100 organizations participating in #FREEFUNFRIDAY, a program sponsored by the Highland Street Foundation that provides free access to arts institutions across the state during the summer. This will be the museum’s third Free Fun Friday, a program that was created to increase access and enrichment opportunities for children and families. Every Friday from the end of June through the end of August, multiple cultural venues are open for free.
In the exhibition, design and write your own activist postcard or contribute to a collaborative journal to reflect on the problem of plastic.
- Visit the welcome table for Discovery Cards, Family Art Bags, and a scavenger hunt for our artist-designed benches
- Take a selfie at our plastic jellies photo booth
- Add your thoughts and comments to our Talk Back wall on the museum’s lower level
- Get an up-close look at artwork on paper in the drawing cabinets on the 2nd and 3rd floors
11am: Meet in the lobby for a guided family activity in the galleries
11am - 2pm: Kitchen Caravan food truck offering artisanal paninis! Enjoy lunch on our front patio
1-2:30pm: Recycling Remix with Bash the Trash
- Bash the Trash is a group of inventively creative musicians who make instruments from trash and other recycled materials. Bash the Trash has performed at Carnegie Hall, and with Yo Yo Ma. Their music is also part of the Broadway hit Once on This Island.
- Join 2 of their musicians for a show, hands-on instrument building, and a noisy and fun parade!
4-7pm: Hands-on! Art making for all ages
- Iridescent Art watercolor painting, inspired by artwork featured in Plastic Entanglements
- Free light refreshments provided
6pm: Open Eyes: Join educator Taiga Ermansons for a close look at ViK Muniz’s portrait of actress Sarah Bernhardt made with thousands of plastic toys. Open to all!